It’s taken a few days to really get going, but Jef and I have made quite a lot of progress. When we arrived at Jef’s parents’ house, Gypsy looked like this:
Somewhere under there is a shiny baltic birch floor screaming to be liberated.
After taking some time to unload cargo and gather miscellaneous supplies, we got to work. First up were the fridge straps. Jef and I attached a 2×4 to the metal ribs inside the van, and then attached nylon straps to the 2×4. There is padding on the 2×4 and padding on the dolly to prevent scratching the fridge. The toggle clamps (ugly, I know, but it was the only functional and cost effective solution I could think of) lift the front wheels of the dolly off the floor just enough to keep the fridge from sliding around.
We wanted to cut the wood for the bed frame today, so I decided I’d better design the darn thing before we do that. I’ve actually been carrying the design in my head for awhile, and finally took 20 minutes to draw it out. Well, sort of. I drew enough out to clue Jef in on what he was in for and to make a cut list.
After cutting the pieces …
… What do you know, it looks the way it’s supposed to!
Before sealing the wood with polyurethane I thought it’d be wise to lay everything out and make sure the design will work okay. More ridiculous planking ensued (although it’s hard to tell on a flat surface like this one).
We wrapped up the day by slathering on a couple coats of General Finishes polyurethane. And drinking sake. Yes, at the same time.