Jef and I have been working 12+ hours the past few days on Gypsy. It’s kind of strange to think that we dove in to all this foolishness eight months ago. Every free moment has been spent working on the van, and we’re still nowhere near finished. (I’m pretty sure I typed out this exact same sentence a few months ago, and here we are … still.)
It’s the little things that take up the most time. This stinkin’ little hole, for example, took about an hour and a half. It should have taken ten minutes, but since we’re novices at every single thing involved with van conversions, it took us much longer. For this one hole we had to try using a step drill bit, a forstner bit, and a hole saw before we figured out that a jig saw would’ve worked most efficiently. Learning takes time.
Since we’ve got a schedule to adhere to we pushed to get the bed installed today, which meant working after dark with goofy headlamps. We installed the storage deck …
… and slid the bed frame in. Voilà! A place to sleep!
Then the sink and the grey water line were installed. I wanted to mount the sink with as much overlap around the edge as possible, so I tossed out Ikea’s installation instructions and did my own thing. The countertop is mounted to the box-like frame with VHB tape and a couple of corner braces. The sink is mounted to the countertop with VHB tape. It’s not exactly textbook, but then again, nothing about this conversion is.
Especially not the P-trap underneath the sink.
It’s ugly, but by golly, it works great.