In an effort to make some kind of progress—any kind of progress—I decided to see if I could fix Gypsy’d side window. When “closed” it left a gap of about 1/4”. I pulled off the trim to see how to closing mechanism worked and was completely surprised by what was underneath it.
A whole lot of nothing.
This is how cars are put together? Well, I suppose I should have gotten the hint seeing as there was nothing underneath the trim in the cargo area either. But somehow for the doors I expected more than just wasted space and cheap plastic parts. The fashionista in me immediately saw a place to store six pairs of jeans and handbag or two, while my inner MacGuyver thought This is so simple! I could totally build my own car!
After drifting back down to Earth, I decided that it was an opportune time to line the doors with sound deadening (I used FatMat Mega Mat), and insulation (EZ Cool).
The window’s closing mechanism thankfully wasn’t broken, it was just wasn’t anchored securely enough to hold the window shut. A couple of sheet metal screws easily fixed the problem.
I’ll probably let myself get sidetracked with insulating the doors for the next day or two, and then I’m expecting a rather large influx of work. With the weather being so cold these days, a couple weeks’ worth of work couldn’t come at a better time. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still itching to hurry up and finish, but when it’s so cold outside that I wear my ski pants inside, it’s time to take a break.