Gypsy’s electrical system is up and running!
Wow, I really can’t believe it. Seriously, that was a lot of work. And it was hard. Months of preparation. The first draft of my electrical diagram is from September of 2013, so that means that this has been at least six months in the making. Time sure does fly. In fact, it’s exactly a year to the day that I bought Gypsy. A whole year!
When I first bought her I had no clue how any of this was going to turn out. None. I didn’t know anything about electricity, plumbing, power tools … and now, well, I’m far from an expert but I’ll bet I could ramble on and on about what I know and make you think I’m an expert—so I got that going for me, which is nice.
You’ve probably noticed that I went a little crazy with the switches, and now that we’re powering things up I’m really glad I did. The switches make it really convenient to turn things on and off, and it’s nice to know that when the switch says off, the load does not have current running through it, no question. I’m going to put in one more as a master disconnect switch for the entire battery bank.
Also a little crazy is the negative terminal on the shunt. Not only are all the negative wires for all the loads connected to it, all the grounding wires are connected to it as well. At some point I’ll probably want to reorganize them and use a distribution bar just so it looks a little better.
Jef tried for quite some time to set up custom settings on the charge controller so that we could dial in the right voltages as specified by the battery manufacturer. The splash page looked promising, but it turned out that custom settings were accessible only by special software that runs on the PC. We ended up just using standard settings on the charge controller.
After getting the charge controller set up, it only took about ten minutes to hook up a 12 volt socket for the fridge to plug in to. Even after seeing the fridge start up I heard myself say for the millionth time today, “I can’t believe this works!”