Has it really been over a year? Really? I bought Gypsy in March of 2013??? And I thought she would be finished and livable in a matter of months? Clearly, I didn’t know what I was getting in to. And to be honest, if I’d known it would take this long and this much money, I don’t know if I ever would have done it.
But this is the boat I’m in, gotta keep paddling.
Unfortunately, I’m going to be paddling backwards for a little while. I’ve decided to redo the bed, and the deck underneath it. As much as it pains me to throw out all the work that Jef and I already put into it, I think it’s necessary, and now is the right time—before more stuff is built on top of it.
The old bed frame just doesn’t work the way I hoped it would. It squeaks like crazy, it’s too high, and it’s too heavy. The height is a problem because the cushion collides with the old roof line when I try to convert the bed to a chaise. The weight makes it too difficult to even attempt converting the bed to a chaise, which means that it never gets done, which means crawling around on all fours (worming around on my belly) in order to access stuff under the bed. Not fun.
So I’m going to try something else: T slotted extruded aluminum. I’ve never seen anyone build with this stuff, and I wonder if it’s because it’s simply a dumb idea, or because no one knows about it. Let’s hope its the latter. I’m going to go ahead and do it anyway, because innovation can’t happen if you stop trying.
Back to the drawing board.