Between bits of design work I’ve been sneaking outside to get some van work done. During my last visit to Pinole I had cut the pieces of extruded aluminum needed for the platform under the bed, so on this trip they were ready and waiting to be assembled. Assembly didn’t take long, thanks to the awesome fasteners that go with the T-slotted system.
Removing the old platform was kind of a pain—mostly because Jef and I couldn’t get it out of the van without disassembling it first. If you watch the video you’ll see that we tried various methods of tilting and turning to no avail. The problem was that after installing the original platform we then installed a bunch of other stuff and now the other stuff was preventing us from getting the platform out of the van. Talk about painting yourself into a corner.
By the way, I totally look fat in that video, but I’m not. I’m wearing an oversized t-shirt from the 90’s.
We ended up completely disassembling the original platform that we worked so hard to put together. Piece by piece, we removed it from the van. While it was sad to see our hard work go down the drain, we were happy to know that the aluminum replacement was going to be lighter, stronger, and hopefully quieter. It also gets bonus points for being easy to adjust. If any of the beams are out of place it only takes a quarter turn with an allen wrench to loosen any fastener and reposition it.
If I’m not completely swamped with design work this weekend I’ll attach the fencing material that will support the mattress and I’ll also install the rest of the floor—which I thought I already did, but apparently not.