Last Thursday, Sake and I drove down to San Diego County to visit Jef and his folks. Jef and I were supposed to participate in our first 5k obstacle course race ever, but it was cancelled. Boo. They even went out of their way to tell everyone that no one was getting a refund. Double boo.
So that left more time to get other things accomplished. Sake got her teeth cleaned.
Did you know that getting a dog’s teeth cleaned costs three times more than a human teeth cleaning? Craziness.
Then, Jef and I got to work on Wanda. Jef had already pulled the old seals off the top and ordered new ones, so all we had to do was install them. Here’s a little tip for anyone else out there needing to replace Westfalia seals: Use a piece of plywood against the drip rails to wedge the new seals into place.
Wanda’s grey water line fitting was broken, so Jef ordered a new fitting and figured it’d be a good idea to replace the p-trap and grey water hose while he was at it. Unfortunately, the old p-trap was seriously stuck on the old drain. We tried everything to remove it—wrenches, liquid wrench, a jar opener. We finally decided to carefully cut it off using a dremel, a trick I’d picked up after changing the drains in my condo.
I feel it’s necessary to mention that we used Jef’s mom’s dremel and accessory kit, and Jef’s girlfriend gave him instructions on what parts to use and how to use them. Not that Jef isn’t handy, I’m just sayin’ women can be knowledgeable about tools, too.
Anyway, the dremel trick almost worked. It would’ve worked if only the top of the drain hadn’t snapped off when Jef pried at the last remaining bits of p-trap plastic.
Whelp, gotta replace the drain now.
Jef found a compatible drain at the local plumbing store and installed it, the new p-trap, and a new grey water hose. Next up for Wanda: privacy shades.