I thought I was going to work on additional insulation next, but I decided to rework some of the electrical stuff instead. As usual, what I thought would only take 3 hours ended up taking 3 days. And I’m totally okay with that. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my 34 years on this Earth, it’s that hurrying is overrated.
Gypsy’s electrical cabinet used to look like this:
And now it looks like this:
It’s still a giant mess of wires, but it is a much neater and, more importantly, safer mess of wires. I moved the 12 volt fuse block to the side of cabinet, thereby eliminating the spaghetti draped over the right side of the cabinet. I also installed a heavy-duty busbar to distribute the negative loads, shortened the negative wires, and organized them to minimize the tangled spaghetti look. The fuse that was once sticking up in the air, begging to get caught on something and hovering over the 12 volt fuse block, finally found a less dangerous place to live. All good things.
Design work is picking up yet again, so it looks like I’ll be busy with that for at least the next week. In the back of my mind, I’ve got some plans brewing for how to finish off the entire lower half of the van, and my new goal is to finish—completely finish—the van by December 31st, 2014. Which means it’ll be done sometime in 2017. Like I said, hurrying is overrated.