Gypsy’s shades are up!
Okay, so they’re not the prettiest shades in the world, but you have to agree that they are a good deal prettier than the trash bags that used to cover the windows. Plans for a decorative layer to cover the boring white shades are rattling around in the back of my head. Someday I’ll get to it.
Why did I make the shade separate from its decorative cover? Excellent question.
Well, if this blackout material is anything like the blackout material that used to line my old curtains at the condo, it’s not machine washable (or at least, not after 8 years of being exposed to direct sunlight). I made the mistake of washing my old curtains (cold water) and the material melted. They came out of the washing machine as a sticky ball of fabric and decomposed rubber. Not ideal.
So for these shades, I decided that to make the light-blocking layer separate from the decorative layer. This way, if the decorative layer gets dirty, I can throw it in the washing machine without the light-blocking layer. Or, if I decide that I hate the pattern printed on the decorative layer, I can easily ditch it, and I’ll still have something to cover the windows. I like having flexibility.
The shades attach to the doors with rare earth magnets. Magnets are glued to the underside of the plastic trim, and matching magnets are sewn in to the shade. It was a bit of an experiment to find out what kind of adhesive would adhere to the plastic trim. The contenders were: Shoe Goo, Marine Goop, WaterWeld Epoxy Putty, 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant, and J-B Weld Original Formula. J-B Weld was the clear winner. Shoe Goo was a runner-up, and the rest failed miserably. So if you ever need to glue something to polypropylene or polyethylene, try J-B Weld. They have a variety of formulas, and while the Original Formula isn’t purported to work on low surface energy plastics, it did anyway.
The magnets were a bit difficult to work with. They broke easily so I resorted to coating the magnets that would be sewn into the fabric in Shoe Goo.
With the trim already removed, it seemed like a good time to put screen material in the windows. I’d been wondering how I would tackle this one for a while, and it finally came to me. After making small rectangular cutouts in No-see-um netting to accommodate the window latch, I simply glued the edges down with small dabs of Shoe Goo. Easy as pie.
- Blackout shades: Roc-Lon Blackout Drapery Lining
- Magnets: Bykes N35 Neodymium Super Strong Rare Earth Magnets,
- Adhesive for attaching magnets to plastic: J-B Weld
- Adhesive for attaching screen material to plastic: Shoe Goo
- Screen material: No-See-Um netting by Skeeta
Up next: a place to put the induction cooktop!