Don’t you hate it when you get 90% of the way through a project, just to find that you hate what you did, and you have start over? That was me today. I was all set to install Gypsy’s super awesome shower curtain/projector screen combo, but just when I thought I was almost finished, I thought … eh, I don’t like it.
Something about the overall plan for the ceiling just didn’t feel right, so I took some time to think about it. I recalled the fellow at Rockler telling me that he often gets halfway through a project, and then decides that he doesn’t like it and starts over. Coincidentally, my next door neighbor, a hardcore DIYer, told me just yesterday that he usually does the same. “That’s what makes it so fun!” he said.
When I lamented that redoing things means that it takes a lot longer to finish the project, he replied with a sparkle in his eye, ”So? You don’t want the project to be over anyway, because once it’s over, the fun’s over too.”
He had a point. I love working on Gypsy. For the time being, I’m stuck in Pinole taking care of my dad anyway, so what’s the rush?
So although I didn’t make nearly as much progress as I thought I would this weekend, the upside is that I now have a totally new plan in mind for the ceiling. And, actually, I did finish the curtain track, so I can at least show you that.
Yup, that’s the finished track. A crazy shape for a crazy girl working on a crazy van. Crazy in the best way, of course.
Here’s what it looked like before I decided that I didn’t like my overall plan for the ceiling. You can see now why the shape is so irregular.
I struggled for the longest time trying to find curtain track that could flex both side-to-side and up and down, and never found a product that worked. I had the brilliant idea that maybe I could take aluminum track that is only meant to bend side-to-side, cut a slit in the top, and force it to bend in the up and down direction too.
It didn’t work. As you can see, I tore the aluminum. Luckily, my awesome neighbor happened to pop his head in the van precisely when I needed some advice. “Try heating it up with a torch first.”
Bam. It worked!
Sharp-eyed readers will notice that I did ruin one of my clamps in the process. Eh, that’s the price I pay for not knowing what I’m doing.
Next weekend: Covering the ceiling!