No knowledge about cars. Or construction, or plumbing. Or electricity.
Oh well, I did it anyway.Amazing camper van build. Click To Tweet
So, did you notice that I built the bed twice? Heh heh, the wood one was too heavy, it took up too much room, and it squeaked like crazy. The aluminum one is much, much better.
Let’s see… what did this video not show?
- The hours and hours I spent on the internet, learning about stuff
- The hours and hours I spent working at my day job to be able to afford this project
- The first sink cabinet that I built, which broke when Jef accidentally knocked it over (that was definitely a blessing in disguise because the design was flawed)
- My first plumbing attempt, which looked terrible
- The happy dance I did when I hooked up my solar panels for the first time AND THEY ACTUALLY WORKED!
- That time that I shorted my batteries accidentally … with a fuse, ironically
Got questions? Let’s see if I can answer them.
How long did it take the build the van?
I started in March of 2013, and finished in November of 2015. I counted 2 years, 8 months, and 15 days.
Were you working on it full time?
No, while I built the van I was working part-time as a designer (sometimes full-time, depending on the project), taking care of my dad, I renovated my condo, and I moved. So all of that extended my build time.
How much did your camper van conversion cost?
I lost track after $20k. My initial budget was $15k; I blew past that pretty quickly but I’m okay with that. It was sort of a false limit.
Why such a big sink?
So I can shower in it, obviously. (That was a joke. I know it’s not obvious. But yes, it’s for showers.)Crazy girl showers in the sink. What is the world coming to? Click To Tweet
What advice can you give to others who want to do the same thing?
- Expect a project of this scale to exceed all of your time, budget, and knowledge limits.
- Expect to stumble a bit. Embrace it and learn from it.
- Understand lead times, and order your supplies well in advance so that you’re not waiting for them to arrive with nothing to work on.
- Join forums and ask lots of questions. I just started a forum here so that people can get their questions answered.
- Download my free guide to choosing a van. I’ve been told that it’s helpful. And it’s free, so why not?
Got more questions? Feel free to leave them in the comments, or post them on my Facebook page.
If you liked my video, please share it!Girl builds camper van - 32 mo. in 4 mins. Click To Tweet